Like other regions of Japan, Osaka had its share of private schools and seminars by the end of the 19th century. Ichitaro Fujiwara, later the founder of Osaka Dental School, was a promoter of one of these small schools. He realized the necessity to establish a dental school and immediately began preparations with the help of many supporters. Fujiwara's efforts finally bore fruit in December 1911 when the governor of Osaka authorized Osaka Dental School located at Nishinodaohno-cho, Kita-ku, Osaka. The school was the third of its kind to be founded at the time. Financial support came not from a single source but from a multitude of dental practitioners residing in the Osaka area. This founding spirit remains the pride and joy of our school. In January of the following year, under Rokuji Ogata (the first dean), the institution started as a night school offering intensive training courses to pass the license examination. The following years saw Fujiwara at work trying to improve the educational environment of the school. Daytime courses were introduced and efforts were made to promote Osaka Dental School to "Senmongakko" (college status) only to be given up due to financial limitations. Following a consultation about the future of the school, Fujiwara's duties were taken over by a wealthy individual deeply concerned about education. The person, Kenji Furukawa, provided his private funds to help establish an incorporated foundation and promote the school to college status in September, 1917. The college started by offering a three year curriculum. Courses were added expanding it to three and a half years in 1918 and then on to four years by 1924. Being the only dental school in the Kansai area, many practitioners of the region focused their attention on the trends of the institution and generously cooperated with the education. The foundation of the long standing tradition of our dental education was formed then. Later in 1929, Hirakata Campus was completed. The framework of the modern dental school we have today was completed with the 1935 construction of the hospital in Kyobashi.